Re: [Monotone-devel] revision.cc:166: invariant 'I(purported_m_child ==

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] revision.cc:166: invariant 'I(purported_m_child == m_child)' violated
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 23:25:02 -0800

On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 01:51:40PM +0100, Peter Simons wrote:
> It appears the entire database is screwed up because this
> error occurs no matter what I try to commit and no matter in
> which branch I try to commit. Loss of information in this
> database would be _really_ nasty, so I hope there is a
> really simple way to fix this.

Well, crud.  Can you post --debug output?  There should be a line like
"Examining <id> -> <id>" somewhere before it crashes, which will tell
you what revisions it's building a changeset between when it discovers
problems...

You haven't lost any information; downgrading to a less-paranoid
Monotone will probably make things appear to work fine.  Certainly
there's no reason at all to think your data won't all be get-able.
But you probably have found a new exciting way to get mildly-corrupt
data into the database, and better to find out now... once we know
what went wrong, I strongly suspect "db rebuild" will fix things.
(Though it will be inexcusably slow ATM, sorry... don't use anything
but the latest Monotone to rebuild, though, because one thing the new
paranoia caught was a bug in rebuild :-/.)

"Of course, the entire effort is to put oneself
 Outside the ordinary range
 Of what are called statistics."
  -- Stephan Spender

This email may be read aloud.