Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Is there something like libmonotone?

From: Andreas Känner
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Is there something like libmonotone?
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 11:20:56 +0100

Am Sat, 29 Jan 2005 23:38:27 -0800 schrieb Zack Weinberg <address@hidden>:

Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:
Most of the relevant commands are pretty trivial info-dumping things,
"heads" and "give me ancestry information" and "tell me about this
cert" etc., where most of the logic _is_ the the formatting.  What if
we added a subcommand family called something like "automate",
analogous to "db" or "list" -- so "monotone automate heads" just
prints the head revision ids one per line, no pretty-printing, no
sensitivity to --verbose, etc.

As someone who's had to write far more of those kludgy shell scripts
that you mention than I would like to admit, I love this idea.

I like this too. My suggestion to use XML wasn't because I like XML but rather because there exists a standard XML format on Mac OS X, that can be parsed with one line of code. But, of course, then I have to shift the work to the LUA script... Maybe parsing the output like suggested by Nathaniel would be easier. If it is also faster to implement, I would go this way.

--
Andreas