Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Is there something like libmonotone?

From: Christof Petig
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Is there something like libmonotone?
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:31:54 +0100

Nathaniel Smith schrieb:
If it turns out that exec() overhead is really bad, one could easily
add a streamlined version "monotone automate interact" or
something, where you feed in commands on standard input, get their
output out on stdout.

This should even fit the needs of monotone-viz (IIRC) and since a
typical front end to monotone will issue thousands of commands (we have
3445 revision certs in the current database) I think that shared library
relocation, database reopening and stuff like that would add up to a
decent amount of time.

Additionally monotone (IIRC) caches cert signature evaluation (which is
also costly IIRC). So a command line automation interface would be much
faster and 'echo cmd | monotone automate interact' is easy enough to
omit a non interactive interface completely. Writing an API (and a
C/whatever library) for this interface is also trivial.

  Christof

Wish list:
- query heads
- query ancestors
- query certs
- search for a certain ID (by using selectors (if this was the correct
name))
- query manifest contents
- query file contents
- query diffs
- execute any sql command
- release the database and reaquire it (pause)

This looks like nearly every command monotone offers non interactively