[Monotone-devel] Patches to improve performance and memory usage: Patche

From: Eric Anderson
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Patches to improve performance and memory usage: Patches, pt1
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 00:09:35 -0700

First set of the patches discuessed in my earlier message.  Summary
from earlier message included below.
        -Eric

  - me-changelog-fix: fix up the current ChangeLog to point at an e-mail
    address that will actually reach me.
  - accounting: Add in the ability to account for CPU, Memory, copies and
    mallocs.  The memory one is especially important as the minflt statistic
    is not an accurate measure of memory usage.
  - file-io-preallocate: Reserve space before reading in a file (avoids
    doubling behavior of filling up a string)
  - netsync-string-queue: Replace the string buffer with a string queue
    buffer that eliminates most of the copies on push/pull, this causes the
    100x improvement in copy time.
  - base64: Replace the CryptoPP Base64 implementation with a specialized one
    that allocates a buffer of exactly the right size.  Also runs ~2x faster.
  - zlib: Replace the CryptoPP gzip implementation with the zlib one.  This
    provides the function that calculates the maximum size after compression,
    runs faster and gets better compression on compressible data (source code)
    at the cost of running slower on uncompressible data (random)