[Monotone-devel] The new definition of get_netsync_write_permitted

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: [Monotone-devel] The new definition of get_netsync_write_permitted
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 21:55:38 +0200 (CEST)

I've a problem with the new definition of get_netsync_write_permitted
(where it only takes an identity string).

I've a server where I serve a number of projects, among others a
mirror of the monotone database.  With the new definition, anyone I
allow write access to my server thinking I'm granting him/her write
access to one specific project, automagically has write access to
*all* the projects I serve (including, for instance, monotone) and can
therefore generate rogue commits.

Oh sure, I can have a private rc with a get_revision_cert_trust that
makes sure I don't see those rogue commits, but what about anyone else
who pulls from my server?  Is there any way to prevent rogue commits
from spreading?

And sure, I can do the security by obscurity bit by granting selective
read access to each branch only to those supposed to work with them,
but what do I do if I want to have anonymous readers?  It's perfectly
possible, as far as I know, to pull anonymously while pushing with a
key that has write access...

I'm not at all comfortable with the way this seems to go.  What,
exactly, was the criteria to make get_netsync_write_permitted so lax?

Or if there's something I misunderstood, I'll happily let myself get
enlightened by whoever is willing to help.

Cheers,
Richard

-----

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/