Re: [Monotone-devel] The new definition of get_netsync_write_permitted

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] The new definition of get_netsync_write_permitted
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 13:18:09 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Wed, 6 Jul 2005 22:56:31 -0700, Nathaniel Smith
<address@hidden> said:

njs> Moral: making netsync enforce interesting policies is... really a
njs> bit tricky.  Definitely something we need to work on, but for
njs> now, it seemed simplest to just warn people that if you give
njs> someone write permission, that's giving them pretty broad access
njs> -- at least the current thing works correctly, is no worse than
njs> what we had before, and let us get the release out.

OK, I understand, and I understand the reasons behind this.

Thing is, I plan to use monotone quite broadly, and this includes
using it for my commercial and administrative interests as well as a
repository for free software I write or am part of.  That's how good I
think monotone is today.  As you may understand, there are different
parts of that whole mix that I don't want interfering with each
other.

As it stands, it looks to me like I currently have to keep more than
one database, each served on a different port.  I find it a bit of a
pain in the ass, especially since my server currently is a fairly
small machine...

njs> It is worth keeping in mind, though, that monotone was originally
njs> designed to use completely untrustworthy channels of
njs> communication; even if someone gets up to shenanigans, abuses
njs> their write access, or whatever, all they can do is insert new
njs> cryptographic information into the network -- they can't frame
njs> anyone else without stealing a key, the worst they can do is make
njs> their games anonymous by making up a new key just for their
njs> games.  It should always be pretty much obvious what's going on.

That is true.  I guess it comes down to faith at some point...

Cheers,
Richard

-----

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/