Re: [Monotone-devel] cause of bad cert signatures and how to prevent the

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] cause of bad cert signatures and how to prevent them?
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 22:17:29 -0700

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 01:21:13AM +0200, Marcel van der Boom wrote:
> A monotone db got, somehow, certs on a revision which had bad
> signatures. This happened during a learning session where a person
> had probably mixed several keys.
>
> After him pushing, which apparently went well, the messages with
> "warning: ignoring bad signature on...." appeared.
>
> How come this revision was accepted with a bad signature?

Because monotone's philosophy is to defer trust checking to individual
users; so netsync just shuffles information around, so that people
will have the appropriate information available to make their own
decisions.  So it doesn't check certs or do anything with trust.

> More important, how can this be prevented from ever happening again?
>
> I could not find another way to repair the database than:
[run db rebuild]
> Is there a better procedure for handling this?

How about, don't handle it at all?  Some invalid certs don't hurt
anything; monotone will just ignore them.  (I guess the warnings might
be a little annoying, though; I guess that's a bug in monotone.)

Overall, the trust stuff is not yet fully baked; I'm speaking in terms
of general principles because we haven't really worked out all the
details of how this should work :-).  But there's nothing _bad_ about
having certs that monotone ignores; in the future that should be how
trust works...

The Universe may  /  Be as large as they say
But it wouldn't be missed  /  If it didn't exist.
  -- Piet Hein