Re: [Monotone-devel] cause of bad cert signatures and how to prevent the

From: Marcel van der Boom
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] cause of bad cert signatures and how to prevent them?
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 10:09:42 +0200

On 7 jul 2005, at 7:17, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
Because monotone's philosophy is to defer trust checking to individual
users; so netsync just shuffles information around, so that people
will have the appropriate information available to make their own
decisions.  So it doesn't check certs or do anything with trust.

Is there a better procedure for handling this?

How about, don't handle it at all?  Some invalid certs don't hurt
anything; monotone will just ignore them.  (I guess the warnings might
be a little annoying, though; I guess that's a bug in monotone.)

It's more than a just a warning, db check calls it a serious problem even:

$ mt db check
monotone: [files: 493]
monotone: [manifests: 284]
monotone: [revisions: 285]
monotone: [ancestry: 287]
monotone: [revisions: 1]
monotone: verifying new revisions (this may take a while)
monotone: [revisions: 285]
monotone: [keys: 6]
monotone: [certs: 1142]
monotone: revision fb2bd876ccfca98058db6cecc6108ea3b029cbc1 bad signature in branch cert from key address@hidden monotone: revision fb2bd876ccfca98058db6cecc6108ea3b029cbc1 bad signature in author cert from key address@hidden monotone: revision fb2bd876ccfca98058db6cecc6108ea3b029cbc1 bad signature in date cert from key address@hidden monotone: revision fb2bd876ccfca98058db6cecc6108ea3b029cbc1 bad signature in changelog cert from key address@hidden
monotone: warning: 4 bad signatures
monotone: check complete: 493 files; 284 manifests; 285 revisions; 6 keys; 1142 certs
monotone: total problems detected: 4 (4 serious)
monotone: error: serious problems detected

(and it breaks mtnview also, btw)

Overall, the trust stuff is not yet fully baked; I'm speaking in terms
of general principles because we haven't really worked out all the
details of how this should work :-).  But there's nothing _bad_ about
having certs that monotone ignores; in the future that should be how
trust works...
Ok, i'm actually happy with the warning, because obviously something happened which is not meant to happen. Other than ignoring the certs, the revision is treated normally? I would have guessed that the revision would be ignored too?

Given that, is there a way to 're-sign' those certificates to get rid of the warnings and make mtnview happy again?

marcel