Re: [Monotone-devel] Excluding branches with shell patterns (was: ANNOUN

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Excluding branches with shell patterns (was: ANNOUNCE: monotone 0.20)
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 17:18:32 -0700

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 11:47:29AM +0200, Peter Simons wrote:
> Nathaniel Smith writes:
>
>  >> |   pull [ADDRESS[:PORTNUMBER] [PATTERN]]
>
>  > It's a shell pattern. (It was a regex for a while during
>  > development, so it's an outdated message.)
>
> One feature I depended on is the ability to negate matches.
> With (Boost's) regular expressions, I could say
>
>   foo\.(?!bar)\.*
>
> to match, say "foo.abc", but not "foo.bar". How do I do this
> with shell patterns now?

ATM, you can't.  The protocol has support for it, but the command line
part didn't get wired up in time for the release.  The interface will
look like "pull foo.* --exclude foo.bar".

"The problem...is that sets have a very limited range of
activities -- they can't carry pianos, for example, nor drink
beer."