Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Certificates for files

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Certificates for files
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:22:11 -0700

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 01:37:36AM +0200, Daniel Vogelheim wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> An afterthought: Another real-world problem with version control
> systems I have seen is keeping documents in sync, that for some reason
> can't be committed together. The following article shows a nice
> solution for translating files with SVK. How would one implement
> something similar with monotone?
>
>   Collaborative Document Editing with svk
>
> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2004/09/09/svk_translation.html?page=1

Huh, interesting -- it seems like the only trick there is that with
svn's copy=branch model, you can have multiple branches "within" a
single tree, which is itself on a branch.  Which is very clever, and
doesn't directly translate to other systems.  (I'm not sure whether
that's good or bad in the long run, the potential for pathological
cases makes me a bit queasy, but I don't actually have any in mind.)

In monotone, you can do exactly the same thing, just you have to make
a branch for the translated work; you can't do the tricky bit where
you leave it in the same tree.  But the basic workflow works.

I'm not sure if there's a particularly sane way to do the
copy-within-tree thing.  Possibly it could be done via some sort of
svn:externals-like support, where you have your main tree, then a
subdirectory which has the english docs (actually a separate monotone
tree), a subdirectory with the chinese docs (also a separate monotone
tree, branched from the english docs), etc.

Damn the Solar System.  Bad light; planets too distant; pestered with
comets; feeble contrivance; could make a better one myself.
  -- Lord Jeffrey