Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Proposal for human readable revision IDs

From: Andy Jones
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Proposal for human readable revision IDs
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:48:02 +0100

> If you're
> working, for instance, in a console or terminal-based session and do
> not have access to a mouse, consider using the application screen(1).
> You can perform a copy-and-paste operation using a few meta-key
> combinations and key navigation similar to vi.

Please forgive me if this seems a rude response, but why should I
change my working practices simply to prove your point?  I'm
comfortable with my current way of working.  Besides which, I repeat:
one of my use cases is making a +note+ of revision IDs (or the first n
characters of same).  On paper, yes?

> It really
> is just a visual representation that might make patterns easier to
> recognize, but beyond that functionality, I don't see any reason for
> it.

But that was exactly the reason I (and others) suggested it.  I would
certainly hope that it had no other effect on Monotone than to make
the Revision ID more readable.  That was rather the point.

Andy.