[Monotone-devel] ~/.monotone/keys , privkey packets

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: [Monotone-devel] ~/.monotone/keys , privkey packets
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:39:13 -0500

Hi,

I'm trying to implement ~/.monotone/keys/ . Since a privkey without its
pubkey isn't very useful, I want to make it store key pairs, not lone
privkeys. In order for this to work, monotone would have to not be able
to input a private key without its pubkey.

So, I'd like to *replace* the 'privkey' packet type with a 'keypair'
packet type, which would contain the data for both the privkey and the
pubkey. Would there be problems with this, like from packet i/o being
supposed to be backwards-compatable? I can make the packet reader
translate a pubkey packet immediately followed by a matching privkey
packet into a keypair packet, if that helps.

I'd also like to switch functions that deal with getting private keys
from storage to instead get keypairs (things that put private keys to
storage would have to be switched, and the two should match IMHO).

Tim