Re: [Monotone-devel] mtn command, extension, and MIME type

From: Julio M. Merino Vidal
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] mtn command, extension, and MIME type
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 23:52:21 +0100

On 12/13/05, Shaun Jackman <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am willing to bet that many folk on this list have created an alias
> for the eight-lettered `monotone' command. I could see it being useful
> for monotone to start shipping a short symlink to the `monotone'
> command. I use `mt' myself, although this conflicts with the old
> magnetic tape command. I saw someone else on this list using `mtn',
> which, as far as I know, does not conflict with any other utility.

I really fail to see what's the problem with keeping the long
'monotone' name and leave the user define his own alias iff he
wants too.

The full word 'monotone' is highly descriptive and is unlikely to collide
with other programs, whereas 'mtn' may be difficult to understand for
a first-time user (imagine if 'mtn' came bulitin with the system) and
might cause conflicts some day with another utility.

So, personally, I'd keep the long name.

Just my 2 cents

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <address@hidden>