status of double-root handling (was Re: [Monotone-devel] silly idea: aut

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: status of double-root handling (was Re: [Monotone-devel] silly idea: auto gunzip?)
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 03:58:31 -0800

On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 11:57:32PM +0100, Lapo Luchini wrote:
> PS: any hope to rosterify a double-root tree? even manually? even
> deleting someway one of the two roots?
> PS2: any way to know which node has two roots exactly? is there a way to
> import only up to that node and ignore anything from there to the root
> themselves?

The current plan for handling double-root trees is just to add the
root renaming feature to mainline.  There is a branch for this --
net.venge.monotone.root-dir-rename.  The basic functionality is
implemented, but untested -- in theory you should be able to use this
branch to rosterify a double-root tree, but I have not even tried
compiling it yet, so no guarantees :-).  (And also, no guarantees that
the resulting db will be supported going forward -- just use this for
testing for now.)

See also: http://venge.net/monotone/wiki/RootDirRenaming

"The problem...is that sets have a very limited range of
activities -- they can't carry pianos, for example, nor drink
beer."