Re: [Monotone-devel] New project: libmtn

From: Justin Patrin
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] New project: libmtn
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 22:47:15 -0700

On 6/30/06, Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 05:44:25PM +0400, Arseny Nasokin wrote:
> - revisions can be complex (why it? why not per-action?), _so_ can't be
disapproved. split revisions?

You still have not said what you mean by "complex", so I can't
really comment on this.

Aha! I think the OP means that you check in changes to multiple files
in one revision. i.e. multiple "patches" as he puts it and multiple
renamed, adds, deletes, etc.

The answer is that of course monotone doesn't split up each "action"
into its own revision. This is one of the points of a revision based
system instead of a file-based one (such as CVS). When you make
related changes to a list of files they should be checked in as one
logical revision, not a sequence of unrelated changes to various
files.

OP: If you want to separate the "actions" in one revision, choose
which files you want to commit. I routinely make many changes in one
workspace and then commit parts of it individually to keep the changes
as separate revisions. I still check in changes to multiple files at
once, but in sections so that only directly related changes are in
each revision.

--
Justin Patrin