Re: [Monotone-devel] New project: libmtn

From: Daniel Carosone
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] New project: libmtn
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 08:15:19 +1000

On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 05:50:56PM +0400, Arseny Nasokin wrote:

> Yes, I know it, but I can't edit revision at that case: I must
> create backward mtn-diff for several files and create new revision
> :( And for added/dropped files I should disapprove all and commit it
> again. It's too mad when time is critical

If I understand correctly what I *think* you're saying about your
requirements here, you may need to seriously consider whether monotone
is suited for them at all.

No amount of refactoring into libraries is going to change the
fundamental premise that, once committed (and distributed), a
historical revision cannot be altered.

That still leaves open the question of whether you really need to edit
historical revisions, or whether instead your desire to do so is
because of some other lack in the present monotone user interface: a
more convenient way for you to instruct monotone to create new
revisions with the changes you need, mostly automatically.  I suspect
the latter, because your comments about 'when time is critical'
suggest you're looking for a more expedient interface, rather than a
fundamental capability.

Could you paint a longer scenario of the situation where you think
editing the revision is necessary?  Perhaps also describe how you
would solve this situation if you had the luxury of time, and why
that's too slow or labour-intensive?  That would help me understand
your concerns a lot better.

--
Dan.