Re: [Monotone-devel] Patch to add memory size benchmarking to benchmark

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Patch to add memory size benchmarking to benchmark suite
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 23:21:33 -0700

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 05:53:13PM -0700, Eric Anderson wrote:
>       Attached is a patch that adds in a new memtime.c executable
> that will "time" both the memory and CPU usage of a command, and the
> update that integrates that into the new benchmark.py script.  It should
> apply to 35534b3bb56f6472a23a3c99fce5aeb4e004431c of
> net.venge.monotone.contrib.benchmark

This is great :-).

> One piece needs to be fixed, but I don't have the python expertise to
> do so.  I couldn't figure out how to get the path to memtime into the
> object so that it could be specified on the command line.  I suspect
> for anyone that knows python this will be a 10 second exercise, but
> after 5-10 minutes of trying things I gave up.

Right, this is a stupid thing about the framework ATM.  I'll fix it...

> instrumenter.py: add in a sleep after starting the sub command to make
>   sure that it actually gets going and doesn't immediately fail

This code consisted of:
+ # wait a little to see if the sub process is going to die quickly
+       # due to usage error, or due to already running a server
+       time.sleep(1)
+       os.kill(-self.popen.pid, 0)

Is the goal to cause an exception to be thrown if the process exits
quickly?  Why would you want that?

The rest looks good, and I've applied it.

Eternity is very long, especially towards the end.
  -- Woody Allen