[Monotone-devel] encrypted monotone (and digression on

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: [Monotone-devel] encrypted monotone (and digression on
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 12:10:42 -0700

Just noticed this project:
  http://aleph0.info/apso/
Early stages, but might interest some people here.

Currently proprietary licensed, though the webpage claims that will
change.

I haven't looked at their technique yet; my plan to do something like
this was to just teach mtn-dumb how to wrap encryption around each of
its packets, and HMAC its merkle keys.  The advantage is that mtn-dumb
is transport only; you can't get nearly so much encryption if you have
to be able to do fancy VCS operations like finding heads, where you
need indexing, etc.  So it's actually a good thing in an encrypted
store if the only things it supports are push and pull.

(I've been thinking about encrypted storage because I've been getting
increasingly frustrated at moving files around by hand between
desktop/laptop/school, and thinking how to write a runs-in-background,
I-don't-have-to-think-about-it, promiscuously-communicating eager file
transmitter, and the obvious solution is to use some simple wrappers
around monotone.  But then you want to be able to use an untrusted
host as a rendezvous point.  But it looks like my laptop died
yesterday and dunno when I'll be able to afford to replace it, so
maybe it doesn't matter anyway ;-).)

"But suppose I am not willing to claim that.  For in fact pianos
are heavy, and very few persons can carry a piano all by themselves."