Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Automate stdio chunk size

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Automate stdio chunk size
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 12:16:29 -0700

On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 08:17:36PM +0200, Thomas Moschny wrote:
> On Monday 10 July 2006 17:48 Timothy Brownawell wrote:
> > There are changes to inventory in the works, that would require changing
> > the interface version anyway, perhaps we should increase the chunk size
> > at the same time we land that?
>
> Yes. And I think we should change the docs (for the new interface version) to
> *not* specify a maximum chunk size, thus allowing us to change it freely
> later, for example through a command line option.

Err, yes, I'm sort of surprised that's in the docs at all.

The point of having an upper-limit is to put an upper bound on how
much memory monotone has to use.  1M seems a bit large for this
purpose, and I'm astonished if you actually have to go to 1M to get
the benefit.  Could someone run timings at different block sizes
and pick one that gives most of the speed benefit without being huge?

Damn the Solar System.  Bad light; planets too distant; pestered with
comets; feeble contrivance; could make a better one myself.
  -- Lord Jeffrey