FAQ on wiki (was Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Dumb Question)

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: FAQ on wiki (was Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Dumb Question)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 00:16:15 -0700

On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 11:53:17PM -0700, Rob Schoening wrote:
>    Which brings me to my next question:
>
>    There does not seem to be an FAQ on the Monotone Wiki.  Would you be
>    averse if I started one and copied the contents of the existing FAQ in
>    there?  Or is there a good reason that the FAQ is not part of the Wiki?

Well, the FAQ predates the wiki by a considerable time, is one reason
:-).

We do have some preference for using the wiki for things like
organization and work-in-progress.  In particular a lot of projects
simply decide to use their wiki as the repository of official
documentation, and we _definitely_ don't want to do that.

OTOH, while the manual is kept up to date at all times, I think the
last time the FAQ was _updated_ also predates the wiki by a
considerable amount.  It's quite inaccurate or out of date, and
embarassing.  I don't see how putting it on the wiki could hurt, given
this, and maybe it would help :-).

(For that matter, maybe we should move the "self-hosting guide" there
too; it's also been rotting for ages, and could definitely be
improved.)

"...these, like all words, have single, decontextualized meanings: everyone
knows what each of these words means, everyone knows what constitutes an
instance of each of their referents.  Language is fixed.  Meaning is
certain.  Santa Claus comes down the chimney at midnight on December 24."
  -- The Language War, Robin Lakoff