Re: FAQ on wiki (was Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Dumb Question)

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: FAQ on wiki (was Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Dumb Question)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 00:32:13 -0700

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 05:24:16PM +1000, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 12:16:15AM -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> > OTOH, while the manual is kept up to date at all times, I think the
> > last time the FAQ was _updated_ also predates the wiki by a
> > considerable amount.  It's quite inaccurate or out of date, and
> > embarassing.  I don't see how putting it on the wiki could hurt, given
> > this, and maybe it would help :-).
> >
> > (For that matter, maybe we should move the "self-hosting guide" there
> > too; it's also been rotting for ages, and could definitely be
> > improved.)
>
> While this would be fine and probably the best choice, another way
> would be to revive and actually use the nvm.www branch for website
> content, allowing devs to edit these pages at least a little more
> readily.  There are even some hints at the end of the tutorial section
> of the manual about schemes to make such a thing more useful, if
> someone wanted to pick up those ideas for an implementation.

Oh, good point, I understand the whole "ssh into venge.net and run
emacs on the html files in the webroot" thing is a little low tech by
the standards of kids today.

Any volunteers to write the little scripts to automatically update the
website out of a monotone branch?

When the flush of a new-born sun fell first on Eden's green and gold,
Our father Adam sat under the Tree and scratched with a stick in the mould;
And the first rude sketch that the world had seen was joy to his mighty heart,
Till the Devil whispered behind the leaves, "It's pretty, but is it Art?"
  -- The Conundrum of the Workshops, Rudyard Kipling