[Monotone-devel] Re: "Wrong" (current time) creation date after checkout

From: Graydon Hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: "Wrong" (current time) creation date after checkout
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:10:16 -0700

Thomas Haas wrote:

I am using motone 0.27 Cygwin on Windows XP.

The creation date (ls -l) on files checked out (using mtn checkout or
mtn revert) is set to the current time. My expectation is the creation
date on files being the same after checkout (or revert) as during commit.

What is the rational of this behavior? Is there a way to restore the
original date of the file (mtn attr)?

Monotone does not track any file times by default, nor does it track owners, permissions, ACLs, or any other extended attributes of files. You can extend it to do so using attributes if you like. We'd welcome patches that provide such tracking, as a standard extension for users that decide to use it.

The rationale for not including it in the default set of information tracked is simply an argument from minimality: computer time is unreliable and not always something people care to track or think about. Some filesystems don't maintain meaningful notions of time at all.

-graydon