[Monotone-devel] Re: Project Management

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Project Management
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 23:04:22 +0100

Thomas Keller <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> In the end this is a software project about distributed version
> control, and maybe that kind of "decentral, distributed project
> management" which happens at the moment is part of the nature of
> this project (and explicitly wanted), so one might forgive me if I
> ask for a structure in this regard, but my inner feeling keeps
> telling me that its needed.

I suspect that's so: inevitably in a distributed project (where
nobody's getting money (well, SoC people excepted)), it's tricky
getting people to do what someone might think might be best for the
project in whatever sense.  People will tend to work on what motivates
them, as best they can.

Probably more importantly (for the interfaces), my impression is that
nobody's quite sure what the interfaces ought to be like anyway.  So
my guess is there's no real choice other than trying things and seeing
if they work, and iterating towards (one hopes) something that's
coherent and sensible.