Re: [Monotone-devel] Lists in Makefile.am

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Lists in Makefile.am
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 11:30:21 -0400

On 8/15/06, Matthew Gregan <address@hidden> wrote:
At 2006-08-15T16:45:50-0400, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> Someone thought it would be a good idea to reformat all the lists in
> Makefile.am.
"Someone" was me.  It seemed like a good idea at the time because the
original layout is a bit of hassle to deal with every time I import
something from upstream, and the layout "rules" that were in use were not
consistent between blocks.

Can you be a bit more specific about how the original / current layout
is a hassle?  We  can probably find a happy medium.  Th e obvious
thing that comes to mind is for the imported-from-upstream lists to be
formatted as is convenient for you, and the monotone's-own-source
lists as is convenient for me, but there might be something better.

Something I forgot to mention was that the main reason all this was a
problem is that there were formatting changes and content changes both
in the same changeset.  If there had been a changeset that redid the
format but made no changes to the content of the lists, I would have
had a much easier time merging.  However, I do think the
not-very-many-files-per-line layout is superior for lists that we will
change frequently (MOST_SOURCES and so on) and I really must insist on
eighty columns (yes, including the backslashes).

zw