Re: [Monotone-devel] Lists in Makefile.am

From: Matthew Gregan
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Lists in Makefile.am
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 22:11:42 +1200

At 2006-08-16T11:30:21-0400, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> Can you be a bit more specific about how the original / current layout
> is a hassle?  We  can probably find a happy medium.  Th e obvious
> thing that comes to mind is for the imported-from-upstream lists to be
> formatted as is convenient for you, and the monotone's-own-source
> lists as is convenient for me, but there might be something better.

Sure.  In fact, just using the one-line-per-file method might make sense to
standardise on.  The hassle I had with the current layout is that I insert
files at random locations within the existing formatted lists for upstream
sources, and end up having to reflow them manually.  My reformatting attempt
that caused you trouble was just using M-q in Emacs to reflow the lists
automatically.

> Something I forgot to mention was that the main reason all this was a
> problem is that there were formatting changes and content changes both
> in the same changeset.  If there had been a changeset that redid the
> format but made no changes to the content of the lists, I would have
> had a much easier time merging.

Yeah, that was naughty of me.  I know it's better to commit content and
formatting changes seperately, but sometimes I get lazy.  Sorry.

> However, I do think the not-very-many-files-per-line layout is superior
> for lists that we will change frequently (MOST_SOURCES and so on) and I
> really must insist on eighty columns (yes, including the backslashes).

My reformatting was intended to stay within eighty columns, but looking at
it now, it obviously was committed that way... my Emacs window must have
been wider than I realised.

Cheers,
-mjg
--