[Monotone-devel] big repositories inconveniences (partial pull?)

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] big repositories inconveniences (partial pull?)
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:59:44 +0200

Use case: as some of my latest messages may have lead to think, I'd like
to "mtn cvs_import" the full FreeBSD /src CVSROOT.
"du -h" reports 1.8 GiB worth of CVS ",v" files that cvs_import imports
in a database around 1 GiB in size (my import created a 500+ MiB one and
a 80 MiB journal, as it didn't finish due to a power outage, I'll try
again tonite).

Using a gigabyte-sized isn't quite the same thing as "hey, all of
monotone itself is only 50 MiB, just download it and be happy with your
complete local repository clone", many people would argue that's quite a
bit too much to ask on developers..?

Two question:
1. how much will be the size of just the main branch? I hope to have an
answer after I retry the import;
2. how to work "more conveniently" with it? one possible idea is
"partial pull", but of course that leads to various funny issues, like
"mtn log" quite possibly ending with sentences like "and probably more".

I also wonder how much difficult would be to have an incremental
cvs_import (to keep in sync at least in one direction).

Just wondering. I'll probably elaborate on it further as soon as I have
time to think about it further myself ;-)

--
Lapo Luchini
address@hidden (OpenPGP & X.509)