Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Best practice using monotone

From: Chad Walstrom
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Best practice using monotone
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:30:06 -0500

"Andy Jones" <address@hidden>  wrote:
> Alternatively I could just write a script that did 'mtn update -r t:test' !
>
> (Um, that +would+ get the +latest+ revision with that tag, right?)

No.  Tags are a different beast in Monotone.  They are not mobile, for
example.  CVS's tag system was more like a mobile bookmark than
anything.  monotone tags are permanent in the sense that they're
certificates to revisions.  Once the cert has been replicated to other
databases, you cannot get rid of it without a concerted and organized
effort with the other developers/database holders.  One uncoordinated
sync could result in the tag reappearing.  It would be better to have
a single branch dedicated to your "test" environment, and do your
development on another, then propogate/merge back to the test branch.
--
Chad Walstrom <address@hidden>           http://www.wookimus.net/