Re: [Monotone-devel] [RFC] versioned policy -- introduction

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [RFC] versioned policy -- introduction
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 09:07:43 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 07 Sep 2006 09:06:15 +0200 (CEST), Richard
Levitte - VMS Whacker <address@hidden> said:

richard> I still don't understand why keys would be stored by name.  In the
richard> rest of the security community, keys are identified by a form of hash,
richard> or a fingerprint if you will.  There is of course the usual risk that
richard> you can get two keys with the same hash (fingerprint), but since a key
richard> has certain properties and a structure that can't be altered without
richard> invalidating it, the risk is minimal, so in essense, you can
richard> practically say that there's a 1:1 mapping between keys and their
richard> fingerprint.

Oh, and I'm not saying that *users* should have to identify keys by
key id, just the software itself.

Cheers,
Richard