Re: [Monotone-devel] Manifest Comments

From: Thomas Moschny
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Manifest Comments
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 20:26:32 +0100

On Sunday 03 December 2006 18:45, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> As certs are not stored and transmitted efficiently enough [...]

Can you elaborate a bit on that? What's the problem with certs? They are
key-value pairs attached to revisions, so - exactly what you want.

> Thus I'm asking for comment and thoughts, first.

Your 'comments' cannot be removed from revisions. This might be seen as an
advantage or as a disadvantage.

One problem is that they are not bound to a realm (they are just 'comments'),
so no other application can safely use them, because it can't make any valid
assumptions about their validity or even their format.

So, at least it should be possible to attach more than one comment to a
revision, identified by its realm; but then again the question is: what's
wrong with certs?

- Thomas