Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.experiment.pcre ready for merge

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.experiment.pcre ready for merge
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 05:44:08 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Fri, 5 Oct 2007 19:04:46 -0700, "Zack Weinberg"
<address@hidden> said:

zackw> I've updated the net.venge.monotone.experiment.pcre branch to
zackw> latest mainline and to PCRE 7.4.  It passes all the tests with
zackw> no problems. I've dealt with the potential stack-overflow
zackw> problem by imposing a sane recursion limit (normal regexps need
zackw> only a few recursions at most; PCRE's default is effectively
zackw> unlimited; I set it at 2000, which is supposed to be only a
zackw> megabyte of stack - well within the 8MB of space that is
zackw> typical) and I added PCRE's documentation on regular expression
zackw> syntax to the main manual.  I've also updated the autoconf goo
zackw> - most of the boost search logic is not necessary if we stop
zackw> using boost::regex.  All tests pass, 'make distcheck' is in
zackw> progress.
zackw>
zackw> I would like to merge this branch for 0.37, but I will let
zackw> Richard or Nathaniel make the decision, especially as I have to
zackw> leave now and won't be around much this weekend.

I haven't come so far with releasing, unfortunately, and it will not
happen this weekend, my son takes priority.

Personally, I've no problems with having the PCRE stuff join mainline,
especially since it (as I understand it) will greatly reduce the pain
of having to deal with boost.

A question: how much does the PCRE syntax differ from the boost::regex
syntax?  Is that relevant to know?  Will it impact much on users, for
example when dealing with .mtn-ignore?

Cheers,
Richard

-----