Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: colored diffs

From: Tero Koskinen
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: colored diffs
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 20:01:30 +0300

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 16:04:46 +0200 Lapo Luchini wrote:

> We could, in fact, add a --color option to "mtn diff" itself...
>
> Pro: no need to have perl, no need to constantly pipe things
> Cons: probably need an external one in the system anyway
>
> Does anyone object if I implement that? ;-)

I think implementing builtin colors opens a can of worms even
if they are turned off by default. For example, one set of
colors might not be suitable for all(*), so you need to make them
customizable.

In my opionion, a separate program would be better. Maybe it
could be called by a Lua hook when needed.

On the other hand, the "difficult" people could always use the default
black/white mode plus a separate program and it's your own time, so
feel free to use it as you wish. :)

(*) Like (partially) color blind people, people who use fancy
background colors, or transparent terminals, etc.

--
Tero Koskinen - http://iki.fi/tero.koskinen/