Re: [Monotone-devel] MtnSummit 2008

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] MtnSummit 2008
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 21:35:13 +0000

On Sat, Nov 17, 2007 at 01:05:39PM +0100, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> >so, we're actually looking for a volunteer who is able to spend some
> >time on more serious planning and organization. I'm willing to support
> >him/her as much as my current schedule allows it, but I won't have the
> >time to do it on my own.
> >
> >Stand up, speak up!
>
> I've offered that for Zurich about a month ago. But I got the
> impression that it's too expensive for most people.
>
> Additionally, I'm somewhat disappointed by the low interest. But that
> might rather be an issue of my expectations :-)

I'd suggest lowering your expectations :-).  When I started planning
last year, I figured there were about 3 people I was pretty sure would
come, and then maybe a few more would show up, but hey, I wanted to
meet those people and it would still be fun, so I went ahead.  Then I
got blown away when there were like 20 of us!

Maybe there won't be 20, who knows with money, different people are
more or less busy now, a place that's more or less easy to get to for
different people -- but would it be worthwhile if there were only 5?
If so, go for it, plan on that, and then whatever happens will be
great...

Also, in general, if you (for any value of "you") are waiting for a
crowd to come and push you to make things happen, it doesn't really
work that way... the organizer's job is to push the crowd around, not
vice-versa :-).  Which is annoying, but sometimes if you want
something to happen you just have to decide to commit a bunch of time
and hope; otherwise definitely nothing will happen.

</sage-old-advice>

Eternity is very long, especially towards the end.
  -- Woody Allen