Re: [Monotone-devel] options for automate inventory

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] options for automate inventory
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 12:37:15 +0100

Stephen Leake schrieb:
> As others noticed, 0: does work in automate stdio for flag options.
>
> So I've committed new automate inventory options --no-ignored,
> --no-unknown, --no-unchanged, with appropriate tests, manual update,
> and NEWS entry.

A few comments:

1) Please edit the comment in front of
tests/automate_inventory_options/__driver__.lua
which still lists the old true/false options

2) From what I can see in the code you determine if a file stanza should
be omitted from the inventory_print_states and inventory_print_changes
methods. If you really go that route, the three boolean values should at
least be set to false _outside_ of the first method (currently they're
initialized in the body), but I really think the actual filtering should
be done beforehand and not be mixed into these two methods. I know this
involves a litte code duplication, but its far easier to understand
later on.

3) Finally, its easier to continue; immediately as soon as its clear
some code path cannot be executed than waiting / evaluating up to three
additional conditions ;)

4) A minor thing: the interface_version does not neccessarily need to be
bumped to 7.1, since mtn 0.38 is 6.0 anyways... and I *think* there was
a previously used rule that only command additions get a minor raise,
however format / output changes of existing commands get a major raise.
So either stick with 7.0 (which incorporates the attributes stuff) or
raise it to 8.0.

5) The monotone.texi patch contains a lot of unrelated changes - seems
as some formatter went over this file? It may be ok to do that (I
haven't compiled anything from the new texi file, so I can't say for
sure everything is ok), but it would be great if that would happen in a
separate patch / revision ;)

> In addition, I fixed/changed automate inventory so it does not recurse
> into ignored directories. On my typical workspace, which has compiler
> output files in a directory 'objects', that gives a factor of two
> increase in speed, as measured from Emacs DVC (that includes the Emacs
> processing time, but monotone dominates).

I guess I can live with that ;)

> --no-ignored --no-unchanged gives another factor of three increase in
> speed.

Thats very nice! Now I guess all we need now is a expanded version of
get_revision (get_workspace_revision) which takes zero or more paths and
creates a valid revision from it, so restricted commits get available
over stdio. (The problem with restricted commits is that f.e. renames
need special attention, so I generally feel safer if mtn tells me the
correct revision containing all needed nodes than crafting my own one.)

> I don't think there is a use case for having known files in an ignored
> directory, but if there is, we can add another option to allow
> recursing into ignored directories.

I don't think this is a killer feature right now.

Thomas.

- --