Re: [Monotone-devel] unhexification of revision hashes

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] unhexification of revision hashes
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 22:54:11 +0100

Hello Zbigniew,

Zbigniew Zagórski wrote:
I don't remember reasons for this change besides db compaction.

Hey, thanks, that's great and pretty instant help. ;-)

However I see a small a performance hit on windows:
what                    hex      0.38
log --brief          |   46   |  39
graph                |   2    |  0.8
ls branches          |  7.7   |  6
(seconds, all > dev null, monotone db, nvm head)

Should it be slower? Faster ? Are those test cases feasible ?

Ehm.. in my theories, it should be faster, simply because there's less
data to be transfered from rotating storage. At the cost of some
encode_hexenc() and decode_hexenc() calls.

BTW. What are the cxxflags of official windows build, my build is
"-O2 -g -Wall" stripped, maybe this perf hit is caused by bad flags.

PS. I see ~10 size loss on two databases (156->137 monotone, 9-7.6
private db) so this db compaction is real.

Last I checked, I saw very small performance improvements, so these
numbers are looking suspicious to me.  Can you recheck the CXX flags,
please?

BTW: please don't drop the mailing list and reply to all. Or can the
list admin make the mailing list set a "reply-to" header, or something?

Regards

Markus