Re: [Monotone-devel] url schemes

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] url schemes
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 07:22:37 -0500

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 12:53 +0100, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:

> > I think the approach of only using slashes in the path of an URL is
> > mostly used to obscur the structure of a web application.
>
> I disagree, but I guess that's a matter of taste. I just happen to like
> RESTful APIs (which are not just about the syntax of the URL, but
> involve usage of GET/PUT/DELETE http commands).
>
> In our case, however, it's about supporting dumb servers, which cannot
> really handle URLs with parameters.

push/pull/sync are not GET/PUT/DELETE operations, they need a lot of
negotiation to find out what to send. They cannot be directly supported
by dumb servers, you need a smart client with the necessary logic to
break them down into simpler parts.

Simple URLs to specify what to sync against are very convenient, but why
should they be force-fit into a scheme which is not designed for that
sort of interactive operation?