Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone upgrade policy for the SQLite copy?

From: Ralf S. Engelschall
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone upgrade policy for the SQLite copy?
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 22:11:34 +0100

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:

> Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>> As Monotone is already using its own build-environment
>
> ..which is a bad thing(tm), which we want to get rid of, IMO...

The alternative is to place a full SQLite build-environment 1:1 into
sqlite/ and also run its own "configure" step during Monotone's
"configure" step. Certainly more complex, but as for SQLite 3.5 I now at
least had to extend the m4/sqlite.m4 a little bit, it would prevent that
Monotone configure SQLite differently than the SQLite upstream vendor
intended.

>> for building the
>> sqlite/*.c files we instead actually can switch from sqlite/*.[ch] to
>> just the sqlite3.[ch] files from the SQLite "amalgamation" distribution.
>
> As far as I understand, the point of amalgamation is, that there's only one
> preprocessed C file.

No, the amalgamation "sqlite3.c" file is not really pre-processed in
the meaning of the C pre-processor. But it is pre-processed in the
meaning of the Lemon parsor generator, etc. It is more or less just
a concatenation of the *.c source files (where parse.c is also used
instead of parse.y, etc).

>> Fully backward compatible on-disk format will be not possible in the
>> long-term, so as long as a dump/restore is still possible everything
>> should be fine.
>
> This is an SQL database - they cannot drop dump/restore upgrading
> possibility without loosing most users ;-)

Sure. Sorry for not being clear enough: I just meant "fully backward
compatibility _without_ dump/restore requirements" (= just by upgrading
to a newer SQLite version).

>> Ok, I volunteer and will try to upgrade and test Monotone with SQLite 3.5.x
>
> Very cool, thanks! And good luck!

Ok, I've it running. I dropped sqlite/*, added sqlite3.[ch] and
adjusted the Monotone build-environment for this. I'm now checking the
functionality under run-time (especially via the test suite)...

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       address@hidden
                                       www.engelschall.com