Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone upgrade policy for the SQLite copy?

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone upgrade policy for the SQLite copy?
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 15:35:53 +0100

Hi,

Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
While looking at compile-time warnings of Monotone, I've just stumpled
over the fact that we are still using SQLite 3.4.2 in Monotone while at
sqlite.org we already have SQLite 3.5.7 released recently. My simple
question is: what is the "official" Monotone upgrade policy with respect
to the embedded copy of SQLite?

I guess simply because noone has taken care, recently. Matthew did the last update to 3.4.2 on 2007-08-14.

Please also note, that 3.4.2 is the latest 3.4 release and 3.5.0 features some incompatibilities with older versions, see:
http://www.sqlite.org/34to35.html

> Who takes care of the SQLite upgrades for Monotone?

I've started picking up the nvm.library-build branch, where we strive for accepting system libraries as well. IMO that includes the ability to ling against a system provided sqlite library.

For the bundled sqlite variant, we should IMO switch to the amalgamation distribution.

If there is still no such policy I personally recommend a policy like
this (and saved for reference into e.g. "sqlite/README.MTN"): "Monotone
should can be upgraded to the latest version of SQLite as long as (1)
this SQLite version it is fully backward compatible to the old on disk
format (= is able to read it) and at maximum a dump/restore of the
database is necessary,

What minimum requirement are you proposing here? Fully backward compatible (on disk format) *or* dump/restore?

Especially when we allow linking against system libraries, we have to be careful and check multiple versions. Maybe even provide a "downgrade" feature, i.e. if a user first uses a newish system provided sqlite, then downgrades to the monotone provided one by building mtn from source. However, dump/restore should do the trick.

(2) it's API is backward compatible or Monotone's
use of the SQLite API is at least simultaneous adjusted during the
upgrade; (3) Monotone after the upgrade still passes its test suite and
(4) in case of a required non-automated upgrade step hints about this
are added to file UPGRADING".

Yes, there are pretty obvious, IMO. I don't think we are lacking a policy. We need someone to just *do* it. Are you volunteering to test monotone against sqlite 3.5.x? Or try integrating the amalgamation distribution?

Regards

Markus