[Monotone-devel] library-build progress report and request for help with

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: [Monotone-devel] library-build progress report and request for help with botan
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 23:19:45 -0400

nvm.library-build is my project to build all our bundled libraries in
a way that more closely resembles how they're built upstream.  (This
will also facilitate optional use of system-provided versions.)  It's
intended to go like this: Each bundled library has its own
subdirectory, just as they do now, but those subdirs have Makefiles
and configure scripts of their own.  Monotone itself has been moved to
another subdirectory (currently named "monotone", but I could be
persuaded to rename it "src" or something like that).  The top-level
configure script just saves all its arguments into a Makefile.  That
Makefile invokes the library configure scripts with --prefix set to a
subdirectory "libinst" of the build tree, then builds them and
installs them.  It then runs the monotone-subdirectory configure
script, telling it to look in "libinst" for its libraries.

Right now what works is building idna, lua, netxx, and pcre.  My
original intent was to have these be verbatim upstream tarballs but
that proved impractical, I've pretty much written my own Makefiles and
configure.ac's for all of them.  [Only idna and pcre have upstream
build harnesses that are any use, and they both have tons of unrelated
junk that we don't want cluttering up the repository.]

botan builds but does not install, because we are using the upstream
build harness for that, and it wants files that were left out of the
original import.  I would appreciate help from people who've done
upstream botan imports on that front.  sqlite doesn't build - I just
haven't gotten to that one yet.  I'd like to know, though, whether we
want to move to sqlite 3.5.7 separately or as part of this project
(looking at the big picture, my inclination is to say "separately",
but doing it as part of this project might make this project a wee
easier - you'll note that I updated the idna directory, where the
tradeoff is clearer).

Don't even try building the monotone subdirectory yet.

People wanting to experiment may find the toplevel targets "make
<dir>/Makefile" and "make libinst/<dir>-stamp" of use.

zw