Re: [Monotone-devel] Personal/Project/MtnSummit Introduction

From: Philipp Gröschler
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Personal/Project/MtnSummit Introduction
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 21:58:08 +0200

Lapo Luchini wrote:
OTOH a front-end in JSP could probably re-use much of the Eclipse-plugin code, and help improve it.

I recently had a short chat with a guy who proposed to cede me his abandoned Java project. It also seems to integrate much of the Eclipse plugin code. When talking of improvements, I envisage some kind of a common Java library which could be shared not only between these two projects. But for the present, that's science fiction.

Unfortunately there have been a few days since his last reply. I if can't manage to speak to him during the next few days, it seems that I won't have a own piece of work to bring to the summit. Hey, if you read this, please get in contact ;-)

OTOH a JSP front-end would generally be as difficult to install (for one that doesn't know Tomcat and friends) as the Python-based one already is (for one that doesn't know Python), so that could be a bit moot.

Personally for me it is much less difficult, since putting up a servlet container is rather easy compared to get Apache (or even Lighttpd) working with some Python plugin. I spend a very long night in trying so, without any success.

Also what bothers me is the fact that on the Linux distro I am using all available plugins are marked as unstable or experimental. I don't like putting unstable software on my productive server.

In any case... welcome aboard this little ship where people generally prefer to do things Right-and-Secure instead of Fast ;-)

Thanks again for the welcome! Right instead of fast, yes. That's an opinion my ex-boss would never agree in. Which is why he is now 'ex'.

Marcin W. Dąbrowski wrote:
> Mmm... If you need a li'l hand for PHP coding - count me in. I'd
> also like to see a PHP frontend for monotone, so I could put my
> 0.03€ in it...

That's good, I will keep that in mind. If that Java thing really emerges then I nevertheless would want to work on a PHP solution. And maybe Markus likes to have it, for one of his dumb servers ;-)

Greetings (from out of a thick rain cloud)

Philipp