[Monotone-devel] summit flag day?

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] summit flag day?
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 12:05:13 +0200

I was thinking... during this past year after the last summit I read many times sentences like "we are waiting to do that until the next flag day"... is there a place those informations are kept?

Is it now the time to actually suffer that flag day? Or, at least, to plan for it? (maybe a branch?)

The little "flag-day" changes that I'd like are probably known to most, but I'll repeat them here:
1. upgrade SHA-1 (or decide that 69 bits of security are
   enough for us, that would be in line with 1024 bit keys too)
2. use principals instead of key names all around
3. upgrade certs signature scheme
4. make the compression algorithm parametric (most obvious choices could be, in order of decreasing speed and size: no compression, lzo, zlib, lzma; lzma is particularly interesting because it's heavy to compress, but very fast on decompression)

    Lapo