[Monotone-devel] How to resolve this non-content conflict?

From: Jeff Rizzo
Subject: [Monotone-devel] How to resolve this non-content conflict?
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 14:52:31 -0700

Hi-

I just ran into an issue that I'm not sure how to resolve - I'm using merge_into_dir to assemble a "production" branch for a website out of a combination of vendor and in-house code. The vendor branch tracks software releases of a popular web package, and we have a couple branches of house code that have been merge_into_dir(ed) to directories under the vendor software.

After bringing this up on #monotone, it was suggested that I might be hitting "diediedie" - really, I would like to just "reset" one side - say "take the vendor branch on the left, and make the appropriate bits on the right look just like it". Here's the actual error messages from 0.40 (I'm actually *using* 0.38, but it makes more sense under 0.40):

I probably should take the time to obfuscate some details, but I'm lazy:

mtn: propagating com.revision3.www.wordpress-vendor -> com.revision3.prod.baltar
mtn: [left]  ef792acd2030ad751d160de5345358845b7a374c
mtn: [right] 23acf3a2beef41d57cd9a2837e44f2a8c130052f
mtn: warning: Content changes to the file 'wp-content/plugins/akismet/akismet.php'
mtn: warning: will be ignored during this merge as the file has been
mtn: warning: removed on one side of the merge.  Affected revisions include:
mtn: warning: Revision: ef792acd2030ad751d160de5345358845b7a374c
mtn: warning: Content changes to the file 'wp-content/plugins/hello.php'
mtn: warning: will be ignored during this merge as the file has been
mtn: warning: removed on one side of the merge.  Affected revisions include:
mtn: warning: Content changes to the file 'wp-content/themes/classic/comments-popup.php'
mtn: warning: will be ignored during this merge as the file has been
mtn: warning: removed on one side of the merge.  Affected revisions include:
mtn: warning: Content changes to the file 'wp-content/themes/classic/comments.php'
mtn: warning: will be ignored during this merge as the file has been
mtn: warning: removed on one side of the merge.  Affected revisions include:
mtn: warning: Content changes to the file 'wp-content/themes/classic/header.php'
mtn: warning: will be ignored during this merge as the file has been
mtn: warning: removed on one side of the merge.  Affected revisions include:
mtn: warning: Content changes to the file 'wp-content/themes/classic/style.css'
mtn: warning: will be ignored during this merge as the file has been
mtn: warning: removed on one side of the merge.  Affected revisions include:
mtn: warning: Content changes to the file 'wp-content/themes/default/archive.php'
mtn: warning: will be ignored during this merge as the file has been
mtn: warning: removed on one side of the merge.  Affected revisions include:
mtn: warning: Content changes to the file 'wp-content/themes/default/comments-popup.php'
mtn: warning: will be ignored during this merge as the file has been
mtn: warning: removed on one side of the merge.  Affected revisions include:
mtn: warning: Content changes to the file 'wp-content/themes/default/comments.php'
mtn: warning: will be ignored during this merge as the file has been
mtn: warning: removed on one side of the merge.  Affected revisions include:
mtn: warning: Content changes to the file 'wp-content/themes/default/functions.php'
mtn: warning: will be ignored during this merge as the file has been
mtn: warning: removed on one side of the merge.  Affected revisions include:
mtn: warning: Content changes to the file 'wp-content/themes/default/header.php'
mtn: warning: will be ignored during this merge as the file has been
mtn: warning: removed on one side of the merge.  Affected revisions include:
mtn: warning: Content changes to the file 'wp-content/themes/default/links.php'
mtn: warning: will be ignored during this merge as the file has been
mtn: warning: removed on one side of the merge.  Affected revisions include:
mtn: warning: Content changes to the file 'wp-content/themes/default/rtl.css'
mtn: warning: will be ignored during this merge as the file has been
mtn: warning: removed on one side of the merge.  Affected revisions include:
mtn: warning: Content changes to the file 'wp-content/themes/default/single.php'
mtn: warning: will be ignored during this merge as the file has been
mtn: warning: removed on one side of the merge.  Affected revisions include:
mtn: warning: Content changes to the file 'wp-content/themes/default/style.css'
mtn: warning: will be ignored during this merge as the file has been
mtn: warning: removed on one side of the merge.  Affected revisions include:
mtn: conflict: orphaned file 'wp-content/themes/default/image.php' from revision ef792acd2030ad751d160de5345358845b7a374c
mtn: parent directory 'wp-content/themes/default' was deleted on the right
mtn: file 'wp-content/themes/default/image.php' was added on the left
mtn: error: merge failed due to unresolved conflicts

Thoughts?  More info needed?

+j