Re: [Monotone-devel] case insensitive file names

From: Nuno Lucas
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] case insensitive file names
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:58:09 +0100

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 9:28 AM, Richard Levitte <address@hidden> wrote:
> In message <address@hidden> on Wed, 18 Jun 2008 03:46:25 -0400, Stephen Leake
> <address@hidden> said:
>
> stephen_leake> There are a couple of issues here.
> stephen_leake>
> stephen_leake> First, mtn should use a case-insensitive file name
> stephen_leake> compare. More precisely, it should use whatever file
> stephen_leake> name compare the actual file system uses; that may be a
> stephen_leake> case-sensitive NFS on Windows, for example. That would
> stephen_leake> require a standard API for checking file name equality;
> stephen_leake> is there such a thing? Trying to actually create two
> stephen_leake> files and seeing if an error results would work, but
> stephen_leake> probably be too slow.
>
> I don't know about such an API, and either way it wouldn't help you.
> If the files FOO and foo are two different files, I don't see why they
> should be treated the same.  The issue isn't really with monotone,
> it's much bigger.  You run into similar kinds of trouble with ftp.

My main problem with monotone on windows is "stupid" editors that
don't preserve file name case when saving.

One big "offender" is Borland C++ Builder 5. It opens a file like
"Main.c" and decides to save it, after being modified, as "MAIN.C" or
"main.c" (I believe I have seen both cases happening), causing havoc
with monotone.

On the other hand, monotone is not alone. Tried Mercurial and it has
the same problem (at least version 1.0).

Regards,
~Nuno Lucas