Re: [Monotone-devel] case insensitive file names

From: Brian May
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] case insensitive file names
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:25:06 +1000

Richard Levitte wrote:
stephen_leake> Second, why does 'update' care if some files are
stephen_leake> missing? They will be restored or not as appropriate by
stephen_leake> the update anyway. In the current use case, this check
stephen_leake> just gets in the way. I'll start another thread for
stephen_leake> that.

No, 'update' doesn't restore files, it merges changes into files that
exist in the workspace.  If that change is a rename, it needs the
original file to perform the rename.  If the change is a few added
lines somewhere, it needs the original file (which might have been
changed in the workspace as well) to make that change.
I suspect the poster might be thinking of CVS, where update will restore missing files. In CVS the usual procedure for reverting a file is to delete it and the run cvs update.

To the best of my knowledge not applicable to any modern system though. Generally most systems use revert. The assumption being if you deleted a file, you had a good reason for doing so, and don't want it suddenly reappearing.

Brian May