[Monotone-devel] Does "mtn status" work correctly only with UTF-8 locale

From: Tomohisa Tanaka
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Does "mtn status" work correctly only with UTF-8 locales?
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 01:35:25 +0900

The following is a screenshot of the output messages of monotone v0.40
with the de_DE.ISO8859-1 locale.

http://sites.google.com/site/maroontress/mtn-status/freebsd-de_DE.ISO8859-1.png

The following is a screenshot with the de_DE.UTF-8 locale.

http://sites.google.com/site/maroontress/mtn-status/freebsd-de_DE.UTF-8.png

Although I don't understand any German, I think that the output
messages of both "mtn add" and "mtn update" are correct because I got
the same results with each locale.  However, I believe the result of
"mtn status" is not correct, because the result of the de_DE.ISO8859-1
locale includes three '?' characters.  Tell me if I'm wrong.

With the Japanese locale, the problem is more serious.  The following
is a screenshot with the ja_JP.eucJP locale.

http://sites.google.com/site/maroontress/mtn-status/opensuse-ja_JP.eucJP.png

The following is a screenshot with the ja_JP.UTF-8 locale.

http://sites.google.com/site/maroontress/mtn-status/opensuse-ja_JP.UTF-8.png

The output messages of both "mtn add" and "mtn update" with each
locale are correct.  However, the message of "mtn status" with the
ja_JP.eucJP locale consists mainly of the character '?'.  I am sure
that the result with the ja_JP.UTF-8 locale is correct.

I think that except the C locale, "mtn status" works correctly only if
using UTF-8 locales.

--
Tomohisa Tanaka
address@hidden