Re: [Monotone-devel] Does "mtn status" work correctly only with UTF-8 lo

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Does "mtn status" work correctly only with UTF-8 locales?
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 01:10:24 +0200

Tomohisa Tanaka schrieb:
> The following is a screenshot of the output messages of monotone v0.40
> with the de_DE.ISO8859-1 locale.
>
> http://sites.google.com/site/maroontress/mtn-status/freebsd-de_DE.ISO8859-1.png
>
> The following is a screenshot with the de_DE.UTF-8 locale.
>
> http://sites.google.com/site/maroontress/mtn-status/freebsd-de_DE.UTF-8.png

Hrm, I can reproduce the problem. It seems that in particular for mtn
status there is some weird code in cmd_ws_commit.cc line 47ff which
concatenates c-strings for each message output just to convert the final
string in utf8(). Smells like a double-encoding bug, but since there
doesn't seem to exist any concatenate operators nor an utf8() method in
i18n_format and format_base, I'm not sure how to fix it (despite
outputting the messages unbuffered directly to stdout). Is there any
rationale why i18-formatted strings should not be concatenated?

Thomas.