Re: [Monotone-devel] understanding mtn serve

From: Sebastian Rose
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] understanding mtn serve
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 05:42:03 +0200

Thomas Keller wrote:
Sebastian Rose schrieb:
OK, I can't see how to avoid this confusion using write-permissions on
the server side. And still, it's inconvenient. And the suggestion to
apply 'mtn merge' seems wrong if the two head revisions on branch p1
have no common ancestor --- which I'm not shure of (actually this unsure
feeling is the reason for writing this email). Maybe those braches could
be merged by solving the conflicts?

Sorry, but I don't quite get what you want to achieve. Do you want to
_have_ or _avoid_ two projects that cannot merge or do you want to catch
the case that two people independently start checking in the code of the
same project and you're later forced to "somehow" merge them?

I want to have two projects that can not merge. Different projects, one
database. It works nice, until someone works on branch (alias project)
'p1' and does a 'cross-commit'

$ mtn commit -m'Messing up' -b p2

which means, we now have two un-mergeable (???) heads, both on a branch
called 'p2' with no common ancestor. If there is no chance to merge them
I could live with it (remember: I have those two branches, just to serve
two projects from one database - in reality there will be many more).

So the most important question is:

Can two heads with no common ancestor be merged? If not, I have no
problem.

Either way, the answer is not write-permissions. This is an
all-or-nothing deal. People listed in there get write access to all
branches of the repository. And until *cough* policy branches *cough*
are implemented this behaviour won't get "fixed" (it would still be
possible for everybody to push changes for all branches, but afair
policy branches then let you setup a policy to ignore certain changes
making them "invisible" for other project members).

Hmmm. I see there are no equivalent write-permissions.
/var/lib/monotone/write-permissions is just a list of key IDs.

* Questions

1) First of all it seems, that 'mtn serve' serves exactly one database.
At least I can't find anything about serving multiple databases in
the docs. Is this true?

This is correct. Plain mtn serve only serves a single database. But
there is usher in nvm.contrib.usher (see the readme [0])

Ah, thank's, I'll check that one.

Sebastian