Re: [Monotone-devel] understanding mtn serve

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] understanding mtn serve
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 10:45:20 +0200

Sebastian Rose schrieb:
> I want to have two projects that can not merge. Different projects, one
> database. It works nice, until someone works on branch (alias project)
> 'p1' and does a 'cross-commit'
>
> $ mtn commit -m'Messing up' -b p2
>
> which means, we now have two un-mergeable (???) heads, both on a branch
> called 'p2' with no common ancestor. If there is no chance to merge them
> I could live with it (remember: I have those two branches, just to serve
> two projects from one database - in reality there will be many more).
>

> So the most important question is:
>
> Can two heads with no common ancestor be merged? If not, I have no
> problem.

They currently can not be merged. Somebody is working on suturing
though, but I don't know if directories can be sutured for this use
case. In any case the code is not there yet (tm).

You could however always add a suspend cert to this messed up head and
it wouldn't be considered for merges anymore. It would not show up in
mtn heads and similar commands either.

Thomas.