Re: [Monotone-devel] new include/exclude commands?

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] new include/exclude commands?
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 13:36:13 -0600

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Thomas Keller <address@hidden> wrote:

The question is probably where and how long these things should persist.

My expectation is that they would be relatively transient. One use-case is selecting things I'm preparing to commit by looking at status and diff, including/excluding some things, repeatedly until I'm satisfied. However, I can also think of less transient use cases, where in some workspace I don't want certain portions of the tree, which I could exclude and then remove similar to a partial checkout case. (I think I've seen people interested in partial checkouts here haven't I?)

I know, one shouldn't commit partial, untested changes, but occasionally, it happens and I think I prefer to commit related but possibly untested things rather than mix unrelated things together.

Since 0.40 there is a new hook `get_default_command_options` which could

Hrm, I hadn't used that before, but it does seem nice. Was it added just after 0.40 or is it included in 0.40?  (my system installed 0.40 doesn't seem to have it but more recent builds do)

be used for that as well (you could easily put this into the per-project
_MTN/monotonerc):

function get_default_command_options(command)
   local default_opts = {}
   if (command[1] == "diff" or command[1] == "status") then
       table.insert(default_opts, "--include=foo")
       table.insert(default_opts, "--exclude=bar")
   end
   return default_opts
end

I agree that this could serve the same purpose, but it seems more cumbersome for the transient case. In the more permanent case it would probably be ok.

Cheers,
Derek