Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: converting a monotone repository

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: converting a monotone repository
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 20:35:03 -0600

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 6:12 PM, Timothy Brownawell <address@hidden> wrote:
There's a new --no-workspace option to turn off this behavior even when
you're in the root of a workspace.

Oh good, that's better than the --root option, I'll switch things over to that. I'm still having problems with conversion that I haven't managed to track down yet (mostly because I've been distracted with other things). There are two different revs in my monotone database that seem to give hg some grief. One of them is on the net.venge.monotone.guitone branch and fails with a utf8 problem iirc. The other is somewhere in monotone's own history but I don't have any more details at the moment.

My motivation here is just to see how fast mercurial would pull the monotone history for interests sake and to see how far off of that benchmark we would be. From what I've seen so far, hg seems generally quite nice, but giving up versioned directories and a bunch of the other good things that monotone has isn't all that appealing. There are somewhat interesting discussions on the hg list about named branches (which appear to have similar characteristics to monotone branches) vs clones which appear to be somewhat more transient and lighter weight.

Cheers,
Derek