Re: [Monotone-devel] WARNING: ~/.monotone/keys CONSIDERED HARMFUL

From: Daniel Carrera
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] WARNING: ~/.monotone/keys CONSIDERED HARMFUL
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 00:49:21 +0200

Robert White wrote:
If you don't believe in these use cases, consider contractors who may
need to keep work separate for different employers but will want to
use their one business email address for all their business;

One thing I don't understand is why this contractor needs different keys for each employer.

or consider the need to have two or more development stations that _can_
_not_ reach each other over a network, so sneaker-netting a secondary
store would be required.  (and so on).

I also don't understand why this scenario requires different keys for each store.

Anything that presumes just one database or allows two databases on
the same machine owned by the same user to cross-pollinate or disrupt
each other is a misfeature.

Monotone allows multiple databases on the same machine (I have three on my system). The DBs will not "cross-pollinate" or disrupt each other unless you explicitly want them to. And even then, you might have some work making them disrupt each other.

Daniel.